Welcome to the Student Affairs Committee (SAC) website. Please feel free to explore this valuable resource.

This section has been prepared by your SAC reps in order to answer common questions posed by Schulich medical students. You can submit any questions you may have to the Hippocratic Council Vice-President Internal (email available on the Council Members Page). The VP Internal chairs the Student Affairs Committee. We will try our best to get back to you as soon as possible. If we think the answer to your question will be useful to fellow Schulich medical students then we will post the question here.


London Specific:

Do Grocery Stores offer a student discount?

Most grocery stores in London offer students a discount Tuesday of every week with a valid student ID (your western ONE card included!). The discount is 10% off of the subtotal and is available at Loblaws, Food Basics, Metro and Angelos. Aside from student discounts, the following stores price match local competitors: Walmart, No Frills, Real Canadian Superstore, and FreshCo.

I need a TAXI, what are some TAXI numbers?

About-town Taxi 519-432-2222

Blue & White Taxi 519-432-8294

Checker 519-659-0400

U-Need-A-Cab 519-438-2121

Yellow London Taxi 519-657-1111

Keys Thanks D.D. Service 519-457-9700

What other support services are available at Western University?

Western's University Student Council offers peer-to-peer support services and support programs in the basement of the University Community Centre (UCC); located in room 38, UCC near the Chiropractor clinic. The Peer Phone Line can be called at 519-661-DIAL.

Support services include Ally Western, Multifaith Services, Sexual Health & Consent Education, Art Therapy, Mental Health Services, Alcohol & Substance Abuse, Women's Issues Network, Hope's Garden Eating Disorder Awareness, LGBT Discussion Groups, and Registered Dietitian services.

Someone I know is having difficulty adjusting to medical school; who can they talk to?

Schulich has the Learner Equity and Wellness (LEW), Student Affairs Committee (SAC) Representatives (who are found on this website) and Student Support Team (SST) that are all available to speak in confidence with any student that is having difficulty adjusting to their new medical school life.

Our very own counselor at the LEW, Pamela Bere, can be contacted at pamela.bere@schulich.uwo.ca .

She is available to learners of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry by appointment to discuss issues or concerns related to their wellbeing: personal/psychological, career, financial and academic. Individuals can come for confidential counselling or referral to other supports as needed. Individuals can also speak to Pam if they have concerns about issues related to harassment and discrimination.

What and where is student health services (medical clinic) on campus?

Student Health Services is an appointment based medical clinic for all registered part-time and full-time students at Western and affiliated colleges. Stop by the clinic or call at 519-661-3030 to book an appointment with a physician.

When making an appointment, you will be asked for:
  • Your student number
  • Your current address, telephone number and e-mail address
  • Your health card
  • A reason for your visit

Student Health Services is located in the basement of the UCC (University Community Centre) in Room 11. They are located around the corner from the Book Store, adjacent from London X-Ray Technologists.

They are open from:
  • Mon-Thu 9am-7pm
  • Fri 9am-4:30pm
  • Sat 9am-1pm

Can I get a parking pass at University Hospital? If so, how?

Yes, as a medical student parking can be arranged at the Standard Parking Office by going to University Hospital: Parking garage adjacent to the main hospital building (Parkade 4), 1st floor, open 24 hours, 7 days/week. The cost will be $51.00 per month for London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) parking.

How do I opt out of USC Health Benefits if I already have benefits?

Students with equivalent extend health plan coverage may choose to opt-out of the USC Health Plan, or Dental Plan (you do not need to have an existing dental plan) by visiting: www.studentbenefits.ca

The DEADLINE to opt-out occurs at the end of September! If you have any questions about opting out please call Western Connections at: (519) 661 – 3722.

I lost my student card, where do I go and get a new one?

Mustang Central has a lost and found at which many lost student cards are returned.  Please stop by Mustang Central located in the UCC Atrium to check if your student has been returned. 

If you need to replace a lost student card, please bring identification and your student number to Western Connections, UCC Lower Level where you can re-order your student card for a charge of $26.

I lost my bus pass, where do I go to get a new one?

Mustang Central in the UCC has a lost and found at which many lost bus passes are returned.  Please stop by Mustang Central located in the UCC Atrium to check if your bus pass has been returned.  If you need to replace a lost bus pass, please bring your student card to Western Connections, UCC Lower Level (Basement) where you can re-order your pass for a charge of $10.

Where can I pick up my bus pass?

Prior to the start of the Fall Term, Undergraduate Bus Passes will be available to each student in the Schulich assigned mail boxes located in the Health Science Additions building.

Your bus pass is valid from September 1st to August 31st each year.

Windsor Specific:

I need a TAXI, what are some TAXI numbers?

If you need a taxi in Windsor here are some companies and their numbers:

Vets Cab 519-256-2621

Canadian Checker Cab 519-254-7777

What is the best day to buy groceries?

The best day to buy groceries in Windsor is probably on Tuesday’s as there is an extra 10% off at the Real Canadian Superstore if you show a student card. Students will usually carpool and go to the grocery store together on these days. If you do not have a car and would like a ride this day is probably your best bet to get a ride to the grocery store as so many student will already be heading there anyway.

How easy is it to travel to the United States from Windsor?

Travelling to the United States from Windsor is so easy! The main requirement is a valid passport. You can cross from the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel via car or you can even take the always convenient tunnel bus that leaves from the Windsor Bus terminal and drops off in different Downtown Detroit locations.

Another way to travel to the United States is via the Ambassador bridge, and besides some intense traffic some days, this is really easy and all you need is a valid passport and 10 dollars ($5 toll each way), and a GPS to help you navigate the highways!

How is the weather in Windsor?

Although Windsor is the southernmost point in Canada, that does not mean that we have tropical weather. The weather in Windsor is comparable to the weather in Toronto, and London (although London often gets more snow than us). This does not mean that Windsor does not get snow, we do. Be prepared as we had an intense winter in 2013/2014.

What and where is student health services (medical clinic) on campus?

Student health services is the medical clinic that is located on campus. The office is located on the second floor of the CAW Student Centre, Room 242. You can make an appointment by calling 519-973-7002. As Schulich Windsor program student you are able to access this service. Here is the link to the student health services webpage for more information: http://www1.uwindsor.ca/health/ .

I have lost my student card, how do I get a new one?

If you lose your University of Windsor student card, you should inform Michelle Miglietta at the Windsor Program, and she will direct you on how/where to go to get a new card. If you have lost your Western student card then contact Lisa Latif (lmlatif@uwo.ca) there will be a fee associated with the replacement of this card.

Where can I study on campus? Where are the libraries?

There are plenty of spots for you to study on campus. In our very own Medical Education Building, there is a quiet study room with cubicles. You could also study in the computer room if it is not in use. We also have access to very nice small group’s rooms, and as long as they are not in use during the day you are free to study there. After hours, you can study anywhere in the MEB. There are also two libraries on the University of Windsor campus that you can use if you need a place to study. There is Leddy Library, and the Paul Martin Law Library. In Leddy Library there is a mixture of group study floors, quiet study floors, cubicles and large tables. In the Paul Martin Law Library there are only cubicles and the entire library is quiet study only.

Is there a gym on campus?

There is a gym on the UWindsor campus. It is located at the St. Denis Centre. This is just down the street from the MEB. As a Schulich student you have access to all of the facilities at the University of Windsor with your University of Windsor student card! (You will get two student cards, one for Western and one for the University of Windsor). http://www1.uwindsor.ca/campusrec/forge-fitness-center-and-services

Someone I know is having difficulty adjusting to medical school; who can they talk to?

You can contact the office of Learner Equity and Wellness (LEW) at the Windsor Program, they are always there to listen and give advice. They are a great resource and their doors are always open. In Windsor this is Mike Farquhar (mfarquha@uwindsor.ca), and Dr. Arthur Kidd (Arthur.Kidd@hdgh.org).

Will I be able to interact with the upper years?

One of the great things about Windsor campus is that there are only 38 students in each year. With these nice small class sizes you will find that you will interact with the upper years a lot during social events. You will see them in the hallways and in the study rooms. The first and second years get to know each other very well as these two classes are constantly on campus. You will also meet a lot of the third year students, and also some of the 4th year students when they come back for classes in the winter. You will also get the opportunity to meet everyone if you participate in the annual Windsor Goblet which includes all of the classes competing (with the exception of the 3rd years who do not have consistent schedules).

Will there ever be host lecturers in Windsor?

Windsor does have some host lecturers. In our core blocks, most of the lecturers are from London, but in some of those blocks, we will have Windsor hosts for some of the lectures. There are also some courses for which there are separate professors teaching both London and Windsor separately, these courses include Ethics, Epidemiology, and Population Health, that being said even though these lectures are essentially separate for both campuses there are times when the lectures are either video conferenced from Windsor or London. And for your small groups, they will all be led by professionals in Windsor.

Will I have to leave campus for classes ever?

You may occasionally have to leave campus for some classes. This is not a common occurrence but some sessions in the beginning of the year will be held at different community locations. Also sometimes your small group’s leaders may arrange tours for you of their place of work if it is relevant to the topic you will be discussing that week. This is usually not difficult as students will all carpool to and from campus.

How often will I have to go to London?

For curricular purposes you will not have to go to London at all. If you choose to partake in extracurricular activities there may be some times when you are required to be in London. So the amount of time you spend in London is up to you.

Will I spend all four years in Windsor?

At the Windsor program, all of your training will be in Windsor. Years 1, 2, and 3 will be in Windsor, apart for some rural electives that you can do during your clerkship year which can be in a variety of places. When it comes to fourth year, you will be the one who sets up your electives and generally students choose to do these all around Canada. In fourth year, after electives, you will be back in Windsor for your classes before you head off to residency.

What about parking on campus?

Parking on campus can get a little bit hectic at the University of Windsor. The campus has been undergoing some recent parking changes and is in a sort of transition period with regards to parking. There are two options in terms of parking, you can either purchase a parking garage pass, or a surface lot pass.

The parking garage pass is more expensive, but you are guaranteed a spot in the parking garage which is really close to the MEB. The surface lot pass is significantly cheaper but your spot is not guaranteed and depending on the time that you arrive on campus you may have to drive through the various lots for some time before you find a parking spot.

Lucky for you, as a first year student you start class at 8:30am every morning, meaning that you should not have a problem finding a spot on the surface lots at all! Parking passes are put on reserve for medical students, so there is no need to worry about them getting sold out and you not being able to get a pass.

Will I get a bus pass included in my tuition?

Unfortunately bus passes are not included in the tuition for Windsor students. As a Windsor student you will not get a bus pass for either Windsor or London included in your tuition.

How is the bus system in Windsor?

Though the bus system in Windsor it is not at the same level that you will find in very large cities like Toronto, it is still a useable bus system. If you choose not to have a car, you will be able to use the Windsor bus system to get around just fine. It is important to note that the bus pass is not included for Windsor students.

You can use this interactive map to find the closest bus stops to either your home or your destination: http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=98e10abac33e4f6c873e174ad9cf1a9a

Also take a look at the Transit Windsor Website for information on bus schedules, routes, and fees: http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/transitwindsor/Pages/Transit-Windsor.aspx

Do I need to have a car?

This is completely up to you. For years 1 and 2 a car is not necessary as you will be on Campus for most of your learning and when you do have to leave campus you can either bus, bike, or carpool with classmates. Come Year 3, you will be on a different schedule than your classmates and will be at different locations on different days, furthermore you will have times when you are on call, and therefore a car is recommended for 3rd year.

How is student housing at the University of Windsor?

There are a variety of student housing options at the University of Windsor. With some rather cheap options such as University Place, and some grad student housing such as Canterbury College. The upsides to student housing are that you can get a meal plan so that you don’t have to worry about cooking, and furnishing and repairs will be taken care of for you.

Some of these places have shared kitchens while others are more similar to apartment style setup with your own space. Check out the University of Windsor housing website for more information.


Where should I live in Windsor?

This is a tough question to answer. It depends on a lot of different factor. Check out the SAC Housing guide to help you out. Living close to campus is always ideal because it allows you to sleep in, and you can avoid the morning traffic and save on a parking pass by walking to school.

That being said if you find a place that is a further from campus that you really love don’t discount that. Windsor is not a huge city and it only takes about 15 minutes to get anywhere in the city. Our advice is to live somewhere where you feel safe and comfortable. Find a place where you can relax, in an area that is accessible to you based on your preferred mode of transportation.

Misc/Non-campus specific:

I missed class, where are the podcasts?

The below link is currently non-functional. We will update when podcasts are available again. Online podcasts are posted on this website for both years 1 and 2: https://vod.schulich.uwo.ca/channels

I’m in 4th year, how do I register for clinical electives?

You will need to first decide whether you want to do your electives at Schulich at other centers, or both.

There are a number of steps to the registration process found here: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/docs/year4/clinical-electives-handbook/files/Linked/Registering_for_clinical_science_electives.Docx.pdf

I’m in 4th year, what is a strategy for clinical electives?

In order to gain approval for your program, it must be broadly based. This is to ensure that you gain a broad range of experience and place an emphasis on areas that suit your 
personal strengths. In order for your program to be considered broadly based, you must have electives in a minimum of 3 CaRMS entry disciplines plus a maximum of 12 weeks of elective time in any one category, with the remaining 4 weeks in either one or both of the other two categories.

1. Electives must be from a minimum of 3 different CaRMS entry disciplines.
2. Electives will be grouped in 3 categories. Students may have a maximum of 12 weeks in any 
one category, with the remaining 4 weeks in either one or both of the other two categories.
3. Research will count towards the discipline in which the research is conducted.

For more information on the 3 categories and strategies please click here (open window): http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/docs/year4/clinical-electives-handbook/files/Linked/Strategies_for_choosing_electives.pdf

I’m a 3rd year clerk and need time off/will be absent, how do I proceed?

Policies allowing for time off/absenteeism are permitted only under Academic leave ex. presenting at a conference or Compassionate, Documented Illness or Religious Leave of Absence.

A request for time-off must be submitted on Single Sign-On

How can I respond to mistreatment by an educator or instructor?

A policy and protocol have been established to ensure your voice is heard.

Please access this procedure here: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/learner-equity-wellness/docs/FlowChartforReportingIncidentsofConcern-PGMESchulich06-07-2013.pdf

What does student professionalism policy encompass/mean?

Student professionalism policies encompasses everything from absence in PCCIA/PCCM/Small groups to medical professionalism, student conduct and harassment issues.

Detailed policy guidelines can be accessed here: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/academic_resources/policies_statements/student_professionalism.html
© 2021 Student Affairs Committee - Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry